Saturday, December 17, 2005

Experiment - Day 1

One of the things that Roz Stendahl does is cut pieces of watercolor paper to a manageable size and then keep them loose, rather than binding them into a sketchbook/journal. She then keeps them together in a box or pastes them into a sketchbook later. She often pre-paints many of those pieces of paper. I was really intrigued by this idea, as I tend to only use my watercolor paper for serious work, never for sketching/practice.

I decided to use some paper my grandfather gave me. I don't know what brand it is, but it's a nice cold press, very smooth watercolor paper. I pre-painted it with watered-down acrylics last night and today tried it out.

I found using just the loose paper rather than a sketchbook kind of nice, particularly when drawing my cat, who would not stop moving around. It made it easier for me to keep trying different angles. And I really like how the background makes the page more interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home