Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Women's Wilderness Weekend

This past weekend, my mother and I went to URI's Alton Jones campus in West Greenwich, RI for a Women's Wilderness Weekend. It was a great experience and I cannot recommend it enough. It was $165 for two nights lodging in a heated cabin (shared with several other people), 6 (very yummy) meals, and a bunch of different workshop-type things, like hiking, canoeing, rubber stamping, dreamcatcher making, etc. The supplies for each class are even included in the cost. They do a book swap and everyone donated Crayola supplies to make arts & crafts kits for Hasbro Children's Hospital.

The beauty of the weekend is that you can do whatever you want. Even if you sign up for the 9am hike, you can decide to sleep in or sit by the fire in the main building and just read all day. There is no pressure to do anything you don't feel like doing. And we met some really interesting women.

They had a Halloween party Saturday night, but my Mom and I weren't in the mood for costumes, so I brought my facepaints and painted some of the women there. Heather, a totally awesome person, was kind enough to take this photo of my Mom and me.

These sketches are what I decided to do Saturday afternoon instead of the rubber stamping class. I picked up the acorn on that morning's hike in the rain, the wooden sign was on our cabin, and another really great woman I met named Peggy found the cool "whale rock" in the woods. It really did look like a whale in profile coming up out of the ground.

I have to thank my friend Roma for telling me about WWW. I'm so glad we went!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you had such a good time with Mom. Love, Dad.

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You two look ADORABLE! Maybe next year I can join! Your face paintings are so magical!

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't hear about this wilderness weekend from Barb. How did I miss this in our conversation? Sounds wonderful. I'm so glad you had time together. I love you. Lori

11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home