Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Sweet Potato Biscuits

Yes, yes it's true - I actually baked something. I was perusing an old copy of Women's Day and came across a recipe for sweet potato biscuits. I thought it might be a good way to get some Vitamin A into Jackson.

Okay, yes, I had to call my mom first to ask "How do you make a mashed potato?" and then "What does it mean to 'knead' it 12 times??" and when the recipe said to roll it to 1/2" and cut into rounds, I thought it meant to literally roll it, like a long tube or something and then slice circles out of it, like with those prepared rolls of cookie dough.

It took me a couple of minutes of struggling with the not-quite-sticking-together dough before it hit me that it meant to roll it out with a rolling pin(!). Thank goodness I'd bought my first rolling pin just last night! Rather fortuitous, eh? And they are shaped like flowers because that's the closest I could come to a circle cookie cutter. But I like the flowers. Much more interesting than boring old circles!

And here's the absolute truth: not only did I enjoy the process, but they taste good. I've already had two while the boys are napping.

Hooray for me and my domestic endeavor! Will there be more to come? Stay tuned and find out.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look beautiful- so much more fun than a plain old circle. I am very proud of you for figuring out the "rolling" part without another phone call. I hope Jack liked them too.
Mom

7:11 PM  
Blogger jane said...

Mmmmm...can you send me that recipe? I'm the sweet potatoe Queen - I LOVE them! Congratulations on your successfull domestic endevor, it can be a little intimidating trying something new...although it'd be harder for me to try to make animals out of balls of fluff!

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kira, Sorry to disturb your lovely site with this but... will you let your mother know I'm hot on her trail? The phone #s I have say "no longer in service." My #s are 919 828-4168 and work 919 647-8014. Thanks. Love your blog and the children of course! Kathy Kichnet

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home