Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A Purple Cow

(please note that this photographed a little dark)

A few months ago, watching David Bromstad on HGTV, I was inspired to break out the acrylics and paint some colorful animals for the boys' room. I think I did Jack's original nursery all wrong - pale, muted colors. Blech! Babies brains should be stimulated, not bored!

It took a while, but I finally got the 12"x12" canvases I wanted from Dick Blick (at $5 a piece, a total steal over the $20/piece they wanted at Michaels!) and started painting once the R watercolor was complete.

This is actually the third painting, but the cat and dog are already hanging in the bedroom and Jack's napping, so no photos yet.

I'm having a great time with this. I forgot how messy acrylics are and how you can just slap it on. The paint is so thick and saturated with color. Such a different experience from the watercolors. Also different because other than a reference image and quick sketch directly on the canvas with pencil, I'm not spending a lot of time on preliminary work. It's a nice break from all that goes into the alphabet series.

I think a piggy will be next...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the purple cow- these pix are great!
Love, mom

5:25 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

The cow is my favorite. Very stimulating colors for a little mind.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Sorry, that sounded bad after I sent it through. I mean stimulating for the litte child's mind. =)

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was also inspired by david bromstad's artwork! but, does he use acrylics or watercolors in his artwork that he does on the show? i don't want to mess it up!

crumbkin@yahoo.com

btw, your artwork is great!

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home