Sunday, April 22, 2007

Final Fun Stuff

So, these are the last fun little things I'll do for a while. I just got an order for the name Benjamin in my watercolor alphabet, so I've got quite a bit of work to do!

Above is a coaster I did for someone on Swap-bot. The swap is to send someone a handicrafted coaster and a bag of your favorite tea. I had no idea what to do for this and kind of regretted signing up for it.

But then I read my partner's profile and found that she likes Asian culture, flowers and the color blue, so I attempted this faux sumi-e painting. I say "faux" because it was done with regular brushes and glass paint on a .53 tile from Lowe's. I even added the traditional calligraphy "seal." I made an elephant for reasons obvious to those who know me.
This is a close-up of my elephant "seal," also done with glass paint.
I have begun taking embroidery lessons from a woman who is here from India. Her husband is getting his Masters at Brown and she's giving lessons to make extra money. The stitch above is what I learned in my first lesson. I was so excited I came home and immediately started on some old jeans. Now I want to embroider everything!

Stay tuned for scans of upcoming alphabet paintings!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We both loved your coaster- quite outstanding and the little red elephant is wonderful. The person receiving this should be quite pleased. Worth a heart for sure.
Mom and Dad

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home