Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Clever Camel Counted her Chocolate Cupcakes

Jack & I are going to meet with the woman who does prints today. I'm excited to learn about the process and to get going on this so I can start selling.

I have to say how happy I am with these Daniel Smith paints. I think the colors come out so nicely - not washed out like my Winsor Newtons.

Someone asked about my process, so I thought I'd give a brief overview here:

The first thing I do is sit down with a dictionary and sketchbook. I make lists of words that inspire me. This can take a while. Then I start putting words together to see what kind of sentences I can get. I usually end up with a few and ultimately choose the one that creates the most fun (I wish "funnest" was a word) image in my head.

At this point, I start sketching the composition, figuring out where the subject should go in relation to the letter, etc. Once that's decided, I do some color studies on scrap paper to see which colors will go together best. I also often refer to Google Images for reference photos. The camel above is a composite of several camel photos I found online.

Finally, it's time to move to the watercolor paper, where I transfer the letter and do a light drawing. Then I add paint. Voila!

I love every step of the process.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must send these to a publisher when you are done with the alphabet. No if, ors or buts. It's a seller. We crave books like this in school. I'll be waiting to see what your first publisher says.

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kira, your talent is amazing. Your beauty continues to show inside and out and in EVERYTHING you do.
How much you love your son is so apparent. he is blessed to have a mother like you. His Father seems a bit smitten with Jackson as well. Your wonderful baby is surrounded by so much love.
Before I end up sounding like a weird stalker
I would like to see if you have any ideas on a special gift for gingers baby's room. The theme is you are my sunshine. Give me a call if its something you might be interested in.
Thank you for continuing to share your art with all of us. Take Care a friend in Awe, Andrea

4:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job on this series, Kira.
I'm interested in hearing more about how you like the DS paints vs the Winsor Newtons - other people have said such good things about them, too.

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home