Friday, March 17, 2006

Cooper

Today I had to take Cooper to be put to sleep. It's the hardest thing I've ever done. He was one strange and neurotic cat, but I loved him. I got him at the Dover, NH animal shelter 11 years ago. He was a little puff ball and irresistible. He and Osiris have always gotten along well, either grooming each other, chasing each other around the house or just sleeping beside each other. It took close to 7 years, but eventually he decided he wanted to be a lap cat - only my lap, though. When I was painting in my artroom, he would lean back on his hind legs and tap me with his front paw, meowing and wanting to sit in my lap. And he always came when I called. Osiris just ignores me. He started to get sick a couple of years ago. First it was a sensitive stomach, then it was hyperthyroidism. Finally, they didn't know what was wrong with him. The vet said probably a lymphoma.

Today, after they gave him the anesthesia, they put him in my arms and I got to hold him, kiss him and tell him what a beautiful boy he was. I am grateful for that time with him.

The first drawing is done from a photo, during healthier times for Cooper. It's in my moleskine, with the walnut ink background again and the sketch done with the Sakura pigma micron .005. The other page shows quick pencil sketches I did of him this morning. We had a quiet time with him sleeping in his new favorite spot - on my Northface jacket shell that is lying on a kitchen chair. Shortly after finishing these drawings, we went to the vet's.

3 Comments:

Blogger Valerie said...

You should be an illistrator Kira. Your natural ability is amazing. I hope with much work I can have 1/2 the talent. Have a fantastic weekend.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Paula, the quilter said...

So sorry to read about Cooper. Loosing a furkid is hard. I had to do the same thing you did to my 2 guys within the last couple of years. I have photos of them, not drawings.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Kira, your work is really amazing, the illustrations are great.
I wanted to say how sad I am for the loss of your kitty, I know how hard it is to lose a family member, no matter how many legs they have. We lost one cat last summer and our dog in November, so sad. Hugs to you.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home